Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Ross Leadership Program - Phase II - Lesson on Citizenship

With RLP in the middle stages, we had seminars on Ethics and Citizenship. In the seminar on Citizenship the proff showed a movie on outsourcing, showing a simbly-southy character with a peculiar accent doing work for an MNC and as a result a smart red-neck loosing his job that he was doing for 16 years at GE. The smarty guy now is working on a gadget that helps him remove dog-shit from lawns of other fellow red-necks and he gets paid $10/dog/month... the last line read something like this...

"Are you ready to pick dog-shit, when the good jobs are going to India"

I was so furious seeing this that I could not resist the temptation to raise my voice there... and there I went...

"When Americans were selling Soft drinks like Coke and Pepsi in India, and I am not using the word pesticides here and someone raises a voice you call them anti-globalization... when Indians do your dirty Y2K jobs they are stealing your jobs... when Dell and IBM sell there PCs in India, Microsoft with there Windows bring money home, its globalization, but when we use tools provided by Americans and make programs that work, we are forcing them to pick dog-shit.... and why Dear professor you think it is only taking money... I have worked in a Patent Company in India and helped many innovators to focus on what they are best at... innovation... I have worked with Telecom firms with their Global marketing plans... bringing more dollars back home... I think its time US realizes that they are loosing on good engineers, mathematicians because only 4% of your student want to go for complex things like those... I think its time US realize the potential of economies like China and India as an equal partners rather than just mere markets for its outdated products"

Needless to say, there was silence in the section for quite some time and as the proff began to give explanation that he is also pro-globalization and it's just something that he wanted to share with the class on the upcoming challenges US economy faces... I added again...

"... and respected sir, just to add your economy is still good enough to pay to people that carry dog-shit... in my country people don't have pet for they cant feed them... and they carry cow-dung so that they can use that as a fuel in their kitchens... please!"

Post-class I think I had undone my non-networking skills to a good deal, with people coming from all spectrums, including Americans, to tell me those were really valid points etc etc.
So far for my citizenship lesson!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home