Monday, June 25, 2007

My Fifth Week of Internship

The week started with a big bang of having an opportunity to attend Michael's presentation. Well it is not always you get to meet someone in the list of Forbes richest men and this one was definitely special for the shear amount of growth Dell has had in the last few years. There were a lot of questions related to the recent changes in Dell, both on corporate level and strategic level and it was good to hear the leader taking a "I believe" stance. However, what caused me the most surprise was that in an organization spawned on Michael's entrepreneurial ideas - there has been no big names coming even close to the high command. Anyways, the positive thinking was surely reflecting in the entire meeting.

On the work front, things were finally moving and I was able to hit the cracks a little harder this week. On Friday, I had a one-on-one with Mike Rosenstein, Director for Global Tech Product Mgmt, and it was a great experience in short. We discussed about our project and it seemed he was really impressed and interested there. Talking about Dell in general it was good to understand that the executives realize the challenges and opportunities at Dell and are concerned to make a change.

I think of two things when it comes to changes at this 80,000+ man-powered elephant:

  1. Finding information here is like finding "a needle in the hay stack"
  2. And trying to execute something really require championing your ideas (Reminds me of this - "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world" - Archimedes)

The weekend was pretty productive this time - We were able to finally sit down and do some case practice. Man!! Was I not rusty this time. Anyways, I am finally able to get some dirt out of my analytical side. Gym routine is going fine in to the fourth week and I am happy to say that I am really beginning to enjoy the experience. On Saturday evening, we went to do some community services organized by Keep Austin Beautful at Stephenson Preserve as a part of our internship experience at Dell. Well mulching in the rain was not the best way to show interest in community and I was horrified to see the conditions of my shoes later. The night was "King Pong" tournament (Beer Pong) at Mak's place and I was happy to get on the third spot. Boye it was a crazy night :)

Watched Ocean's 13 on Sunday - Decent movie - I guess you start expecting things in a particular fashion in these sequels and this was no different (but for the fact that this was much more hilarious/humorous). Also watched Cheeni Kum and Jhoom Barabar Jhoom - enjoyed both of them. However the music for "Jhoom Barabar Jhoom" rocks!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home