Monday, June 11, 2007

My Third Week of Internship

The fun has just started to begin. I started working on my first project last week and by the end of this week it seems to be almost nailed. So when my mentor asked me how long will it take me to do this and the surprise he showed when I said "Two weeks" … Now I think I need to slow it down even further.

Monday-Thursday were all boring stuff with nothing much happening besides project work and a lot of reading. The only good thing happened all this while was the team lunch on Thursday and I had my tummy stuffed to the brim on this occasion. Came Friday and I tool off - yes this was the third week in a row that I would not be working for a 5 day/week. Compare this to my I-Banking friends who are spending most of their Sundays at work working till 2 A.M!

So what did I do - well here is a small itinerary -

Friday - Went to these beautiful dry caves in San Marcos, 35 miles South of Austin, called Wonder World Caves. These caves formed due to seismic activities between the two tectonic plates that form Texas state and divide the whole state in to two almost equal halves. It was great to see the earthquake from inside (almost 160 ft deep). The funniest part though was to go to the near by wild park and feeding Dears!

After spending some time there, went to Barsana Dham, a temple/aashram in the south of Austin. In case you are wondering since when this Atheist has gone believers way… wait till you hear this. Barsana Dham is supposed to be one of the largest Hindu temple in the States (probably after Swami Narayan Temple in Illinois. Strangely enough, I travelled on Route 59 all the way here and still missed that one… may be this time when I go back I will see this.


Saturday - The best day here so far. The lazy day started when I got up way past 11 and headed for Café Mozart around noon after having my brunch. After having a nice hot coffee on the cool deck near Lake Austin, we headed for a walk on the nearby trail - which we soon realized was meant for Dogs only! From there we went to Windy Point on Lake Travis and I simply could not resist the temptation to jump in the water anymore :) Having spent some time there, we went to restaurant Oasis and this time we didn’t have to wait at all to get some nice seats near lake. Boy isn't this place beautiful… and rocking as we soon realized as we headed to Sixth Street in the evening. Going to an 18+ club was not the best ways to enjoy the evening, but I didn’t mind much after such an eventful time. The only thing that troubled me was that music was all Latino and I could not get a single word of the songs we were dancing on… Night was young and bright but tiredness finally loomed over me as I headed home from there… but not before dancing Bhangra on Latino music!

Sunday - I was dead thus far and yet wanted to do so much more… went to this Pakistani restaurant for lunch and after a gave a little "why Pakistani restaurants are not good for business" I realized how corrupt my brain has become off late with the problem analysis business. Anyways, I didn’t count the poor food quality in to it and I was rightly corrected. A lazy start for the day turned further lazier with Sun glazing in its full glory on this June day… Hitting the pool seemed to me the best idea and so I did… Sure I survived thanks to my Pigments :) In the evening went over to some friends place and played few rounds of Poker before letting all-in and getting all-out! Also met a batch-mate from IIT (Ashutosh Chakraborty) after four years and man it was fun to remember the sad-loonie days of IIT. Tried to sleep early… Alas the thoughts surrounding … 'its going to be a long week" didn’t help much :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home