Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Quizzed and Mid-Semmed

Well this is how it typically goes… the professors will give you material to read before the class (hardly anyone reads that but for some smart students like me!!!)

Then he will explain everything in the class as if he is teaching some dumb people in a mentally retarded ward… (it gets really boring at time and I have dozed off too a couple of times in the class)… and then he will give an assignment to complete on the same topic that he covered (which will be exact replica of the example he solved in the class just then… which you were supposed to do as a part of class preparations… )

Anyways things don’t end here, just before the quizzes they will post at least 2-3 papers from last years for you to go and practice and then they will give almost similar paper in the exam. No wonder people score high here… For example, I am taking a stats course here and I remember taking one back in IIT as well… I haven’t gone beyond my first class at IIT which the proff here had taken 6 classes to cover… however the difference is I don’t remember even the first class of that course I took in IIT besides the fact that I read something of that sort… and I am equally sure that I wont forget anything they are teaching me now…

Another striking difference that I can think of is the use of electronic media in studies… the course material is online, assignments are online, you bring your laptops to the class and solve things in excel in seconds which a normal scientific calculator also would take minutes to solve. It amazing to see the application side of things and the relevance of that to life than to just mug up the formula and solve the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home