Wednesday, May 02, 2007

From Phoenix to Nightclub!

Having spent so long in Mumbai for the MAP, I think it would be ridiculous to say that I was not thinking about partying late lights here. Well I did, almost everyday… and yet could manage only two nights to really go out and enjoy the Mumbai nightlife – Two very different and contrasting experiences.

The first time was a club named Phoenix (wonder why such a name) where I went with some other MAP teams in town. The long queue outside was an entire college going crowd – I was told, and yet it was hard for me to believe that until someone told me the college in Mumbai starts right after class 10th. Welcome Mr. Uncle look-alike to this party! Anyways after paying 750 rupees as the cover charges (which people told me is more than what they charge in NY), I entered in to this crowded dingy looking place (the walls had this weird graffiti which symbolizes the independence of today’s youth I guess). After getting over with the initial hiccups, I headed for the bar for a drink and voila – welcome to the hell. By the time I could order a beer and get one, I was thirsty for another one and yet headed in the opposite direction for the fear of being crushed. The dance floor, the same scene and I got sick of those rap tunes and reggae beats sooner than I thought. The smoke in the room was irritating my eye and the couches around the floor were all taken by love-birds making it out in the privacy of few vodkas I sense. I was once an 18 year old and I was trying to save 20 rupees everyday by not eating at the canteen or avoiding that ice-cream. I was once an 18 year old that was afraid to hold the hand of his girlfriend and I was once an 18 year old that used to study long hours in the night. I wondered if that 18 year old would have been there in my place today, how he would have reacted. My folly, I am sorry… I am growing old finally I guess!

So what was the second experience like – wonderful to say the least. I was once again frustrated with our MAP team and decided to go out and have a beer. 1 o’clock in the night and the only place my friend knew that was open for beer at that time was Night Club – a dance bar this time! The manager asked us to pick seats as the whole place was almost empty. I chose the corner most place as I watched this orchestra playing in the middle and few girls roaming around that. The chilled beer was served in no time and as I was enjoying the cold sips of beer, the gazals were making my mind soother. Did anyone disturb us or anything… well not even once after we said we need to talk some things. Did any thing disturbing happened around us… well I saw nothing more than a few drunkards giving away 10 rupee notes to the girls there and feeling happy for in the bright sun shine I think this girl would not even spit at him. So after having some good time, I came out, left a 20 rupee tip and got the royal treatment throughout.

It is interesting to debate, if I would have got more time in Mumbai where would have I gone, very interesting indeed…!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home